The Android system has no built-in support for Japanese input methods. However, a number of apps with this function are available on the Market.
- Simeji - Great Japanese IME
- HanWriting IME 漢書
- MultiLing Keyboard
- FlickWnn: to write japanese, but not by drawing
- Google日本語入力 - A Japanese IME made by Google. Offers both flick/keitai & QWERTY layouts.
- アルテ on Mozc - Based on Google's Japanese IME. Has time-saving flick layout enhancements.
- Kaede IME Dictionary + Kaede IME Helpfile + Kaede IME User-Dictionary Manager
- GO Keyboard + Japanese for GO Keyboard
- Swypeis a really neat keyboard replacement that lets you type words by swiping your fingers across letters. Japanese support is downloadable in the settings.
- 7notes with mazec IME handwriting pad
- MyScript Stylus (Beta) IME handwriting pad, Japanese downloadable in the settings
- Google Handwriting Input IME handwriting keyboard which supports Japanese
A Text-to-Speech app can be useful when you want to hear how a word or phrase might be said.
- N2 TTS
- Google Text-to-Speech
- Samsung TTS - Comes with Samsung android devices. A high-quality Japanese voice can be downloaded in the settings even if your device language is not set to Japanese.
- Aedict (Google Code link) - Dictionary
- ColorDict good dictionary for several languages
- JED - EDICT-based Dictionary
- WWWJDIC has been very useful. (Google Code link)
- Kanji Recognizer
- DroidWing - An EPWing reader for Android to load EPWing dictionaries.
- EBPocket Free - EPWing reader for Android to load EPWing dictionaries
- Rikaichan popup dictionary for Firefox Android
- Popup Japanese Dictionary
- Leo (ok, not for japanese, but chinese and english/german)
Books & Manga
- Vertical Text Viewer - Aozora Bunko formatted text reader
- Aozora Provider - Makes downloading books from Aozora Bunko easier.
- Jade Reader - Open source text file reader with built-in offline Japanese-English dictionary
- Dokusho Text file reader with Japanese-English dictionary
- OCR Manga Reader - Manga reader with OCR support and support for both EDICT and EPWING dictionaries, made by koohii forum user cb4960. (Related Koohii forum thread)
- Typhon - Ebook reader based on Jade Reader with EDICT, EPWING & Japanese Wordnet dictionary support. (Related Koohii Forum Thread)
- 読書尚友 Free - Aozora Bunko-formatted text viewer. Easier to select sentences from than Vertical Text Viewer.
- AnkiDroid - Anki for Android phones - free - Ability to sync with your decks uploaded to AnkiWeb. Includes card editor, review timer. Whiteboard feature to scribble on your screen during reviews. Supports custom fonts.
- Kanji LS Touch - Good for practicing stroke order.
- 常用漢字筆順辞典 FREE - Good for practicing stroke order. App all in Japanese.
- Kanji Ryokucha - Good for Kanji Koohii SRS reviewing
- Browser - to review your Anki decks using the AnkiWeb interface.
- Kanji Tree - Kanji & vocabulary learning app.
Audio & Video
- TuneIn - Listen to live radio streams from all over the world (pick Japanese stations via "Location" not via "Language" | lots of music streams)
- Radiko.jp for Android - Listen to Japanese live streams (there are slightly different stations accessible according to your location setting | mainly spoken words | Region-blocked outside Japan)
- RadioJapan - Listen to Japanese live streams.
- BeyondPod - Great podcast manager I use to handle my Japanese podcasts.
- WorkAudioBook - Audiobook player with features for language learners (automatically splits book into phrases, phrase repeat, place saving, subtitle support, dictionary look-up, etc.).
- Fadosh - Reads Aozora Bunko-formatted text files aloud using text-to-speech. Supports Google Text-to-Speech and other TTS apps.
- Abema TV - Streaming Japanese video app. Has different channels featuring anime, dramas (both originally Japanese & Japanese dubbed), news, documentaries, sports, etc. Need Japanese IP or VPN to watch.
- Fresh! - Has various Japanese live streams.
- Bonsai Blast
- ANDOROMONA - 2ch viewer
- kanji power: An evil game that quizzes the user on kanji that even most Japanese people would be lucky to know.
- 小学生手書き漢字ドリル1006 - Fun ninja-themed kanji writing game (elementary school kanji version)
- 中学生漢字(書き取り編) & 中学生漢字(読み方編) - Fun ninja-themed kanji reading/writing games (middle school kanji version)
- 手書き四字熟語1000 Yojijukugo writing game
- Kasui - Tetris-like kanji game
- Seppukuman - Hangman using Japanese words
- Drastic DS - Commercial DS emulator. Plays most DS games with no lag.
- nds4droid - Free DS emulator. Plays DS games, but has lag.
- PPSSPP - PSP emulator - Plays PlayStation Portable games.
- Higurashi no naku koro ni ep 1 / Ep 2
- Patronage of Deceit / Relation of Deceit
- Flower clock
- Loop the Loop 1 / Loop the Loop 1 part 2 / Loop the Loop 2
- Kamisama 1 / Rest of series
- かえると剣鬼 参
- Tone of the Flute
- Rainbow Pen
- Past Memory
- Glass / Glass2
- はーとふる彼氏 - In Japanese & English
- ドロイド君探偵 - Mystery game featuring the Android mascot. First in a series of mystery games.
- RoseGunsDays Lite
- Fate/Stay Night
- Clipstore - A Clipboard monitoring program that I run in the background. It keeps a list of stuff copied - so when I'm studying something in an Anki deck and I want to mark it for further study later or something, I just copy it and it creates a list for later.
- himekuri10: Japanese-style old timey calendar. I mostly use it to get the lunar Calendar date and to amuse myself with who was born on that day.
- Feedly - RSS reader which is easy to search and add Japanese RSS feeds from.
- マイ・アイズ・プロテクション - Reminds you to take breaks & rest your eyes after a while. Has Japanese interface option.
- Google変換マッシュ (potentially unstable)
- Kaki Memo Lite - Good to make a notice by drawing, but no recognition, every character is a picture in the document
- OpenVPN Connect -Useful with Japanese VPN (Instructions)
- More Locale 2 -To turn the interface language to Japanese (Android 4.2+ Instructions)
- Fontomizer SP Add Motoya Japanese fonts to Samsung Galaxy phones
APK Download Sites
Use these to download region-blocked apps. Limited to free apps only, for obvious reasons.